NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As an investor, you have got to leave your political and social convictions at the door. It took me a long time to learn this.
Here's a confession: I used to be a socially conscious investor. I'm no longer exactly sure what that means, after finding out that most socially responsible funds hold everything from Starbucks (SBUX) to Walmart (WMT) to McDonald's (MCD). Needless to say, prospectuses for "green" mutual funds no longer litter my desk.
Occupy Your Portfolio
I will be heading to San Francisco this weekend. I can only hope the city has cleared the Occupy protesters from downtown's Justin Herman Plaza.
Last time I visited, I spent a considerable amount of time observing the protesters only to discover they really were not protesting anything after all. Aside from a few marches down Market Street, they spent their time wandering, resting and living in a pool of filth that sanitation workers and the SFPD had to clean up and look after.10 Stocks to 'Like' When Facebook Goes Public >> For almost two years, when I was Hanging Out in Skid Row, Los Angeles, I saw the worst examples of poverty America has to offer. It's shocking to me that the Occupy "protesters" would effectively recreate this environment of squalor in their ultimately useless encampments. They must be too dense to realize that this is not how Martin Luther King, Jr. or even more radical leaders, such as Stokely Carmichael and Malcolm X, incited change. First and foremost, they made something of themselves so that they could use their money, fame, power and leverage to empower those around them and properly rattle the right cages.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV