By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- CNO Financial (CNO)has been pulling back, and now the bulls are stepping in.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected the purchase of about 2,400 December 8 calls for 50 cents and 55 cents. Volume was more than 39 times open interest in the strike, so the activity resulted from new positions being initiated.
Those calls lock in the price investors must pay to own shares in the provider of insurance and annuities. They can deliver significant leverage if the stock rallies, but also stand to expire worthless if it fails to move or appreciates too slowly.CNO rose 3.36% to $7.07 Thursday. It peaked around $8.20 in late March, but has been following other financial stocks lower since then. The last earnings report on April 30 beat estimates, and the company trades for less than half book value. Overall options volume was 12 times greater than average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by more than 280 to 1.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV