National Fuel Gas Company (NFG): Today's Featured Utilities Loser
National Fuel Gas Company (NFG) pushed the Utilities sector lower today making it today's featured Utilities loser. The sector as a whole closed the day up 0.8%. By the end of trading, National Fuel Gas Company fell 23 cents (-0.5%) to $45.80 on light volume. Throughout the day, 443,964 shares of National Fuel Gas Company exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 674,700 shares. The stock ranged in price between $45.65-$46.56 after having opened the day at $46.45 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $46.03. Other company's within the Utilities sector that declined today were: Distribution and Marketing Company of the N (EDN), down 7.6%, Ocean Power Technologies (OPTT), down 7.5%, China Hydroelectric Corporation (CHC), down 3.9%, and Delta Natural Gas Company (DGAS), down 3.3%. National Fuel Gas Company operates as a diversified energy company in the United States. National Fuel Gas Company has a market cap of $3.84 billion and is part of the utilities industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 18.1, equal to the average utilities industry P/E ratio and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 17.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there are three analysts that rate National Fuel Gas Company a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and six rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates National Fuel Gas Company as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins, increase in net income, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow.
- You can view the full National Fuel Gas Ratings Report.
- Use our utilities section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV