Baytex Energy (BTE) pushed the Energy industry lower today making it today's featured Energy loser. The industry as a whole closed the day up 0.5%. By the end of trading, Baytex Energy fell $2.66 (-5.4%) to $46.85 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 1.3 million shares of Baytex Energy exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 222,600 shares. The stock ranged in price between $46.40-$49.37 after having opened the day at $49.35 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $49.51. Other company's within the Energy industry that declined today were: BPZ Resources (BPZ), down 12.1%, Copano Energy (CPNO), down 11.3%, ATP Oil & Gas (ATPG), down 9.8%, and Tri-Valley Corporation (TIV), down 8.1%. Baytex Energy Corp., an oil and gas company, engages in the acquisition, development, and production of oil and natural gas in the western Canadian Sedimentary Basin and the United States. It offers heavy oil, light oil, and natural gas liquids. Baytex Energy has a market cap of $5.85 billion and is part of the basic materials sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 27.7, above the average energy industry P/E ratio of 27.6 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 11.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there are eight analysts that rate Baytex Energy a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Baytex Energy as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
- You can view the full Baytex Energy Ratings Report.
- Use our energy section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest Headlines about BTE
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV