Favorable redundancies on prior year's loss reserves decreased to $64 million or 12 points of favorable development, compared to $75 million or 16 points of favorable development in 2011. The decrease is primarily due to less favorable development of prior year's losses in the Excess and Surplus line segment.
In the first quarter of 2011, we resulted significant portion of our outstanding liabilities associated with an Errors & Omissions program from mortgage servicing companies and as a result reduced loss reserves by $16 million.
Next I will discuss the results of our non-insurance operations, which we call Markel Ventures. In 2012, revenues from our non-insurance operations were $97 million, compared to $68 million in 2011. Net income to shareholders from our non-insurance operations was $200,000 in 2012, compared to $2.4 million in 2011. Revenues from our non-insurance operations increased in 2012, compared to 2011, primarily due to our acquisitions of Baking Technology Systems Incorporated and WI Holdings Incorporated in late 2011. The decrease in net income to shareholders from our non-insurance operations is a result of decreased shipments for the quarter in our manufacturing operations where we expect to see improvements as the year progresses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV