NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- It amazes me that Wall Street still does not fully appreciate the turnaround story that is networking giant Cisco (CSCO). Even more disappointing, many analysts do not really seek to understand, but instead carry on the notion that they've got it all figured out.
I will concede that Cisco has indeed made more than its shares of mistakes -- some of which have allowed newcomers like F5 (FFIV) and Riverbed (RVBD) to encroach on its territory and steal some market share. For this, it is clear that Wall Street still carries a grudge. But leading into the company's fiscal third-quarter results and coming on the heels of three consecutive earnings beats, I was optimistic in thinking that it was time to let bygones be bygones. Investors had different ideas.
Cisco continues to be treated by investors as if it were priced to perfection. Case in point, on Wednesday the company reported third-quarter earnings results of 48 cents per share -- topping analysts' estimates of 47 cents. This number represented an increase of 14% from the 42 cents it earned in previous year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV