By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Homebuilders have been bulletproof recently, and Wednesday the bulls moved into Toll Brothers (TOL).
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected heavy buying in the May 25 calls, which initially priced for $1.40. They later fetched as much as $2.15 as the stock pushed higher throughout the session.
Long calls lock in the price investors must pay to buy the stock. That gives them considerable leverage relative to the underlying share price. For example, Toll swung less than 7% in the course of Wednesday's session, but those options appreciated by more than 50%.The stock has remained strong all year and barely flinched as European worries caused the S&P 500 to swoon in recent sessions. Most companies in the industry and related businesses, including home-improvement retailers and suppliers of building materials, have also outperformed. Toll shares closed at $26.96, up 3.37% on the day. At one point in the session the stock touched its highest price since September 2008. Overall option volume was five times greater than average Wednesday, with calls outnumbering puts by more than 10 to 1. Russell has no positions in TOL.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV