THE HAGUE, the Netherlands, May 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Business growth, cost reductions and favorable financial markets drive higher earnings
- Underlying earnings increase to EUR 425 million, including additional adverse mortality experience of EUR 12 million compared to Q1 2011
- Impairments decline to lowest level in four years to EUR 41 million
- Net income increases to EUR 521 million driven by favorable fair value items results and tax benefits
- Return on equity of 6.9%, or 7.8% excluding run-off businesses
- Target of doubling fee-based earnings achieved: 35% of first quarter underlying earnings from fee businesses
- Strong increase in total sales driven by pension and asset management deposits
- US pension sales and new asset management mandates drive 50% increase in deposits to EUR 11 billion
- Accident and health sales increase 23% to EUR 195 million, driven by growth in the Americas
- New life sales decline 11% to EUR 445 million; increase in US offset by lower sales in UK and Netherlands
- MCVNB increases to EUR 125 million; product repricing as a result of low interest rates
- Continued strong capital position and cash flows
- IGD a) solvency ratio increases to 201%; IGD surplus capital of EUR 7.1 billion
- Capital base ratio of 74.2%; on track to exceed minimum of 75% by the end of 2012
- Operational free cash flow increases to EUR 805 million, including EUR 400 million of exceptional items
Statement of Alex Wynaendts, CEO
"Following a year of considerable transformation, AEGON's businesses made a strong start in the first quarter of 2012 with solid increases in sales and earnings. Our successful efforts to reduce costs across our organization have created greater focus while also contributing to higher earnings. Our emphasis on serving the growing demand for retirement planning solutions led to the substantial increase in pension deposits in the United States and our third-party asset management business succeeded in capturing a significant inflow of new business. In keeping with one of our key strategic objectives, we delivered early on our target to generate a greater proportion of earnings from fee-based versus spread-based business."We were pleased with the low level of impairments during the quarter, their lowest in four years. At the same time, it continues to be our priority to maintain AEGON's strong capital position in this period of continued economic uncertainty.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV