Slide #3. You'll see that the result's up in the Bank, 65%, compared with Q4. EUR 1,126 million is the number. And that despite the EUR 304 million loss that we took on -- or charge that we took on credit adjustments, consisting in credit and debit valuation adjustments in our financial markets business and also fair value changes on our own issued Tier 2 debt that we reported in the corporate line.
Adjusted for the negative credit adjustments, the bank result was, in fact, 6.8% lower than if we compare that with the very strong Q1 results of last year. Insurance underlying up to EUR 475 million. That is down slightly compared to Q4, and the results are driven by higher fees by premium base revenues and by very strong performance in investments. On an underlying basis, the result in insurance was a negative EUR 18 million, and they reflected the negative results basically to protect our capital in the Benelux and in the U.S. VA business.
Slide #4. You'll see in -- a comparison that we take out the special items, so that you have a better sense of what the, let's say, the more underlying numbers are, and then you see that the market-related impacts continued to have a negative impact on the results, but not as severe as we saw in Q4. The most significant item already mentioned is the EUR 304 million from CVA and DVA charges and fair value changes on debt on the Banking side. And of course, a significant negative revaluations of the hedges and insurance.
On Slide #5, you'll see that we are making good progress on the restructuring that was demanded by the EC. The sale of ING Direct U.S., we completed in February. We are now exploring options for selling our Asian Insurance and Investment Management business. We successfully addressed proactively asset disposals clauses in 3 senior debt security issues that were issued by ING Verzekeringen, with a total nominal value of EUR 2.6 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV