Southern Co (SO): Today's Featured Utilities Loser
Southern (SO) pushed the Utilities sector lower today making it today's featured Utilities loser. The sector as a whole closed the day down 0.3%. By the end of trading, Southern fell 33 cents (-0.7%) to $45.37 on average volume. Throughout the day, 3.7 million shares of Southern exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 4.2 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $45.32-$45.58 after having opened the day at $45.33 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $45.70. Other company's within the Utilities sector that declined today were: Distribution and Marketing Company of the N (EDN), down 11.7%, China Hydroelectric Corporation (CHC), down 9.1%, Ocean Power Technologies (OPTT), down 4.7%, and Unitil Corporation (UTL), down 4.4%. The Southern Company operates as an electric utility company. It is involved in the generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity through coal, nuclear, oil and gas, and hydro resources. Southern has a market cap of $39.5 billion and is part of the utilities industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 18.2, below the average utilities industry P/E ratio of 22.2 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 1.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there are two analysts that rate Southern a buy, three analysts rate it a sell, and 12 rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Southern as a buy. Among the primary strengths of the company is its solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
- You can view the full Southern Ratings Report.
- Use our utilities section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV