SLM (SLM) pushed the Financial Services industry higher today making it today's featured financial services winner. The industry as a whole closed the day down 0.5%. By the end of trading, SLM rose 13 cents (0.9%) to $13.86 on average volume. Throughout the day, 3.8 million shares of SLM exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 3.8 million shares. The stock ranged in a price between $13.50-$13.94 after having opened the day at $13.56 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $13.73. Other companies within the Financial Services industry that increased today were: FBR (FBRC), up 5.9%, MicroFinancial (MFI), up 5.1%, San Juan Basin Royalty (SJT), up 4.6%, and Community Bankers Trust Corporation (BTC), up 3.4%. SLM Corporation, through its subsidiaries, originates, acquires, finances, and services private education loans in the United States. It offers processing capabilities to educational institutions, 529 college-savings plan program management services, and a consumer savings network. SLM has a market cap of $6.79 billion and is part of the financial sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 13.6, above the average financial services industry P/E ratio of 13.1 and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 2.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there are five analysts that rate SLM a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates SLM as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
- You can view the full SLM Ratings Report.
- Use our financial services section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest Headlines about SLM
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV