Sterling Construction Company, Inc. (NasdaqGS: STRL) (“Sterling” or “the Company”) today announced results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2012.
| $ in thousands
(except per share data)
|3 Months Ended||% Change*|
|Operating income (loss)||$||(4,562||)||$||1,688||NM|
| Net income (loss) attributable to
| Diluted net income (loss) per share attributable to
* The percentages and amounts shown for changes between periods in the table above and in the discussions below are based on the amounts reported in the Form 10-Q and may differ from the amounts which would have been calculated from the table above as a result of rounding.
**Based on 16.3 million and 16.6 million weighted-average diluted shares outstanding for the three months ended March 31, 2012 and 2011, respectively.
NM – Not meaningful2012 First Quarter Compared to 2011 The slight decline in 2012 first quarter revenues was primarily due to lower revenues from contracts in Texas, and, to a lesser extent, in Nevada and Utah. This decline was largely offset by $11.9 million in revenues attributable to J. Banicki Construction, Inc. (operating in Arizona) and Myers & Sons Construction, L.P. (operating in California), both of which were acquired in August 2011. Gross profit and gross margin declined due to net downward revisions of estimated revenues and gross profit on a number of construction projects, primarily in Texas. During the quarter ended March 31, 2012, our projects continued to be impacted by a number of the issues identified in the fourth quarter of 2011, and changes in estimated revenues and gross margin on certain construction projects resulted in a net charge of $3.9 million included in the operating results and a $2.4 million after-tax charge or $0.15 per diluted share attributable to Sterling common stockholders. As previously reported, we have made a number of changes to our management team, systems and controls, and while we expect the implementation of these changes will help to improve profitability in the future, we do not expect to see a substantial improvement on our 2012 results.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV