With regard to U.S.-based operations, Mr. Madar noted, “The 71% increase in sales was due to several factors, including new product launches such as Love Fury by Nine West, Wildbloom Vert for Banana Republic and Gap Established 1969. The inclusion of Anna Sui fragrance sales effective January 1 st was also an important contributor as were further gains by our U.S. specialty retail and designer fragrance brands in overseas markets. We have an ambitious new product line up in the works, which includes Wishes & Dreams for bebe, Miss Madison for Brooks Brothers, Wildbloom Blue for Banana Republic, and two flankers: Too Too Pretty for Betsey Johnson and Fairy Dance Secret Wish for Anna Sui.”
Russell Greenberg, Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer, pointed out several items pertinent to the first quarter, “Now that more than a year has passed since taking over prestige product distribution in the U.S. by Interparfums Luxury Brands, Inc., gross margins for reporting periods in 2012 should be more comparable. In the current first quarter, gains in gross margin from currency fluctuations were offset by changes in product mix. While we significantly increased our overall advertising budget for all brands to maintain the positive sales momentum and continue to grow our market share, S, G & A expense as a percent of net sales was comparable to last year’s first quarter.”
Also of note, the current first quarter:
- benefited from $248,000 of foreign currency gains compared to $419,000 of foreign currency losses in the first quarter of 2011, and
- was subject to an income tax rate of 36% compared to 33% for the prior year’s first quarter.
Affirms 2012 GuidanceMr. Greenberg concluded, “We recognize that our first quarter performance was well above analysts’ expectations, however, such results were in line with management’s internal expectations. We intend to provide a guidance update when we announce a resolution regarding our Burberry license. Therefore at this point in time, we are reaffirming our current guidance, which calls for sales of approximately $625.0 million, with resulting net income attributable to Inter Parfums, Inc. of approximately $35.7 million or $1.16 per diluted share.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV