Rovio's Skyrocketing Growth and the Increasing Dominance of Smartphone Gaming
NEW YORK ( Minyanville) -- Finland's Rovio Entertainment, maker of the phenomenally popular Angry Birds series of mobile video games, just released its full-year 2011 financial results, and the numbers are spectacular -- particularly when compared with the old-school of the video-game industry.
For 2011, Rovio's revenues hit $106.3 million (¿75.4 million), jumping more than ten-fold from 2010 as downloads of Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons, and Angry Birds Rio reached 648 million.
And it's not all about the top line. Rovio is extraordinarily profitable, with a pre-tax margin of 64% that easily outpaced industry giants like
(EA), which are growing at much slower rates.
More from Minyanville
EA: House of Organic Digital Magic? Or Activision-Copying Relic of a Declining Civilization?
Financial Armageddon: Should a Rational, Thinking Person Be Worried?
7 Reasons Why the Bull Market Will Resume
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV