- Our investment spread margin 1 totaled 0.42% for the quarter ended March 31, 2012 compared to 1.50% for the quarter ended March 31, 2011. The decline primarily relates to the effect of lower net realized investment gains and higher OTTI losses in the first quarter of 2012 relative to 2011. Net realized investment gains and OTTI losses tend to fluctuate from period-to-period as a result of changing economic conditions.
- Total annuity sales 2 were $21.7 million in the first quarter 2012, an increase of $8.0 million or 58% compared to 2011 levels due primarily to an increase in sales of retirement products due to a successful sales effort with recent retirees of a targeted company in the first quarter of 2012.
- Deferred annuity surrenders were $28.4 million in the first quarter of 2012 compared to $32.0 million for the same period in 2011, an 11% decrease, representing average surrender rates of 1.41% and 1.55% for the first quarters of 2012 and 2011, respectively.
- Our capital base remains extremely strong at March 31, 2012 despite a $34.25 million upstream dividend from Presidential Life Insurance Company to our holding company during the quarter with our estimated Risk-Based Capital ratio 3 at 512% compared with 556% at December 31, 2011.
- As of March 31, 2012, book value per share, excluding other comprehensive income, increased to $20.18 at March 31, 2012, from $20.12 at December 31, 2011.
Presidential Life Corporation Announces First Quarter 2012 Results
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts