Presidential Life Corporation Announces First Quarter 2012 Results
Presidential Life Corporation (“Presidential Life” or the “Company”) (NASDAQ: PLFE) today announced first quarter 2012 net income of $3.8 million or $0.13 per share, compared with net income of $7.5 million or $0.25 per share for the comparable quarter in 2011. The decrease in net income of $3.7 million for the first quarter 2012 compared to 2011 is principally due to a decrease in net realized investment gains of $2.4 million, an increase in other-than-temporary impairment (“OTTI”) losses of $3.1 million, and a decrease in equity in earnings on limited partnerships of $1.6 million. These items were partially offset by decreases in general expenses and taxes of $0.9 million and income taxes of $2.0 million.
Total revenues in the first quarter 2012 were $56.7 million, a decrease of 12.7% or $8.2 million from $64.9 million in the first quarter 2011. The decrease in revenues was principally attributable to the aforementioned revenue declines aggregating $7.1 million related to changes in net realized investment gains, equity in earnings on limited partnerships and OTTI losses.
“We were pleased to see strong growth in insurance revenues, increasing sales of deferred annuities and immediate annuities without life contingencies, and continued strength in our capital base, which is important to efforts to further develop our business,” said Donald Barnes, Vice Chairman of the Board, CEO and President. “As we move further into 2012, we will continue to focus on efforts already underway to expand our annuity product offerings, a key element of our business, while also prudently managing our investment portfolio.”
Key Items for the First Quarter Results
- Our investment spread margin 1 totaled 0.42% for the quarter ended March 31, 2012 compared to 1.50% for the quarter ended March 31, 2011. The decline primarily relates to the effect of lower net realized investment gains and higher OTTI losses in the first quarter of 2012 relative to 2011. Net realized investment gains and OTTI losses tend to fluctuate from period-to-period as a result of changing economic conditions.
- Total annuity sales 2 were $21.7 million in the first quarter 2012, an increase of $8.0 million or 58% compared to 2011 levels due primarily to an increase in sales of retirement products due to a successful sales effort with recent retirees of a targeted company in the first quarter of 2012.
- Deferred annuity surrenders were $28.4 million in the first quarter of 2012 compared to $32.0 million for the same period in 2011, an 11% decrease, representing average surrender rates of 1.41% and 1.55% for the first quarters of 2012 and 2011, respectively.
- Our capital base remains extremely strong at March 31, 2012 despite a $34.25 million upstream dividend from Presidential Life Insurance Company to our holding company during the quarter with our estimated Risk-Based Capital ratio 3 at 512% compared with 556% at December 31, 2011.
- As of March 31, 2012, book value per share, excluding other comprehensive income, increased to $20.18 at March 31, 2012, from $20.12 at December 31, 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV