As you can see, since reaching a high of $30.73 on January 26, the stock is now down 40% to its most recent close of $17.99. Remarkably, even with the current selloff, the stock still sports a P/E of over 50 and remains expensive when compared to a name such Citrix (CTXS) and remarkably Riverbed still carries a P/E twice that of EMC. So the questions, why are there still high expectations for a company that continues to disappoint the market?
Clearly, there are some major challenges with Riverbed and it does not appear that management has a firm handle on what the issues are or how to fix it. While it seems excuses continue to be made for why it is not living up to expectations, investors need to ask themselves how much time they are willing to wait until management figures it out. But in the process, other opportunities are coming and going -- many of which not only present much better value than Riverbed, but also have management teams that consistently demonstrate that they know what they are doing. I would not touch the stock at current levels and it might yet be a good short toward what I would gauge as a near-term bottom at a price of $15.At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned, although positions may change at any time.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV