Shares of department store Macy's (M) slid nearly 4% after the company reiterated earnings guidance of $3.25 to $3.30 a share for fiscal 2012, below Wall Street expectations for $3.41 a share.
In economic news, the Commerce Department reported Wednesday wholesale inventories expanded 0.3% in March, below expectations for a rise of 0.6%, and a comedown after a gain of 0.9% in the prior month.
In commodity markets, the June crude oil contract slipped 22 cents to settle at $96.81 a barrel. June gold futures shed $10.3 to settle at $1,594.20 an ounce, levels unseen since December 2011.
Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV