This time last year, Cisco was on the ropes. Pummeled by poor execution, weak consumer spending and intense competition, Cisco CEO John Chambers implemented a massive corporate overhaul in an attempt to build a leaner and more focused company.
|Cisco, led by John Chambers, reports third-quarter results after market close.|
After enduring a turbulent 2011, Cisco is now reaping the benefits of its revamp. The San Jose, Calif.-based company put out strong second-quarter results in February, announcing that it hit the $1 billion target for its expense-reduction plan a quarter early.
Rob Lloyd, Cisco's vice president of worldwide operations, recently told TheStreet that the company has completed its turnaround and is now increasing the pressure on its competitors.Set against this backdrop, analysts are expecting good things from the company's third quarter, particularly after underwhelming numbers from rivals Juniper (JNPR) and Alcatel-Lucent (ALU). "Anticipate [a] decent quarter," explained Sterne Agee analyst Shaw Wu, in a recent note. "Our channel feedback indicates that part of the reason is likely because Cisco continues to operate with more confidence and aggressiveness with its refreshed product line, making it tougher for competitors." Sterne Agee's checks point to strong demand in wireless, security, collaboration and Cisco's data center business, which is centered on its UCS product. Demand for the company's routing, services and switching business, which make up almost three quarters of total revenue, is "muted but stable" added Wu. TheStreet will be live-blogging Cisco's third-quarter earnings, starting at 3:45 p.m. EDT.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV