NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Did Warren Buffett give a not so subtle hint that his "elephant gun" is targeting utilities, a sector where Berkshire Hathaway's (BRK.A) MidAmerican Energy is already one of the largest players in the U.S.?
Buffett fanned speculation at last weekend's Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting about another big acquisition when he said Berkshire had come close to cutting a $22 billion deal during the last quarter of 2011. Buffett said that the deal fell apart because of a disagreement on price and his unwillingness to sell any of his stock investments, nevertheless, he expressed confidence that in the future Berkshire will be able to bag M&A prey as large or larger than Berkshire's $26.5 billion acquisition of Burlington Northern Santa Fe.
Buffett's elephant gun is nothing new, and the never-ending question is what companies could Berkshire buy?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV