What were the key lessons Batteries Plus got out of the recession?
Reynolds: We urged our franchisees to work on the elements of their business that were in their control.
For example, we encouraged stores to have the right depth and breadth of inventory assortment so they could serve any customer need. Stores expanded hours of operation in order to be open when customers want to shop. Franchisees accelerated commercial or
We also invested in our business in a number of ways to support owners and fuel growth. For example, we tripled our field support team, which helps franchisees with best practices, inventory management, back office support, marketing and merchandising. We expanded our training staff and our training facility and increased the training opportunities and touch points in the field. We introduced new product lines -- in this case, light bulbs, in part, because we knew about the incandescent light bulb phase out laws initiated in 2007 which would make lighting a more complex, assisted-sale category.What do you mean by 'controllable outcomes'? Reynolds: We looked at the strengths of our business. Thirty-five percent of what we sell is actually to small business and during the recession the ability to make small local deliveries quickly meant you didn't have to
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV