We can't talk momentum IPOs without bringing up Groupon (GRPN), a stock that's had a pretty dramatic fall from grace in the last few months. Shares are down around 50% since the start of the year.
Groupon's selling isn't showing any signs of abating. In fact, the downtrend accelerated back at the start of April. Shares have found support a few times during the downtrend, but it hasn't been particularly strong. Instead, those breaks of support have merely been good entry points for short sellers.
The most recent support level was put in yesterday at $10, solidified by a candlestick pattern called a piercing line. The bullishness is only a short-term signal, though. A break of $10 support is a solid short signal for Groupon.Some traders may have noticed that RSI is looking oversold right now. While oversold generally makes people think that a correction is in store, the fact of the matter is that statistically, oversold stocks are more likely to become more oversold in the short-term than they are to reverse. Whatever you do, don't try to be contrarian and buying this falling knife in the longer-term. To see this week's trades in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV