NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Scotts Miracle Gro (NYSE:SMG) were gapping down Tuesday morning with an open price 12.7% lower than Monday's closing price. The stock closed at $55 Monday and opened today's trading at $48. The average volume for Scotts Miracle Gro has been 522,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Scotts Miracle Gro has a market cap of $3.24 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and chemicals industry. Shares are up 17.8% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday. The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company manufactures and markets lawn and garden care products worldwide. The company has a P/E ratio of 18.9, below the average chemicals industry P/E ratio of 22.7 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. TheStreet Ratings rates Scotts Miracle Gro as a hold. The company's strongest point has been its very decent return on equity which we feel should persist. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, generally poor debt management and poor profit margins. You can view the full Scotts Miracle Gro Ratings Report. Get more investment ideas from our investment research center.
Latest Headlines about SMG
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV