NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The following stocks go ex-dividend Thursday, meaning an investor must purchase the shares Wednesday to qualify for the next dividend payment: Exxon Mobil (XOM), Wisconsin Energy (WEC), Rockwell Automation (ROK), W.W. Grainger (GWW), Fair Isaac (FICO), Diebold (DBD) and CNA Financial (CNA).
The oil giant last month forecast first-quarter earnings of $9.45 billion, or $2 a share, down from year-earlier earnings of $10.65 billion, or $2.14.
"We think the upside potential in XOM shares is much greater than the downside risk from lower oil and gas prices and refining and marketing margins," Oppenheimer analysts wrote in a May 3 report. "As the largest publicly traded oil and gas company, XOM has long been a core holding for investors seeking a defensive investment with continued dividend growth. Low volatility, financial strength, capital discipline, operating efficiency, and strong management are its most attractive characteristics, in our view. The XTO acquisition made XOM the largest gas producer in the US, but low gas prices depressed the stock. However, the potential for recovering gas prices beginning in 2012 and the application of horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing completion methods in XOM's unconventional international portfolio could make this acquisition much better than many have concluded."Forward Annual Dividend Yield: 2.7%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV