JACKSONVILLE, Fla., May 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- An estimated 50 million Americans suffer from the miseries of allergies and about 50 percent of individuals with seasonal and indoor allergies also experience some degree of eye symptoms.
On the new edition of
™ with Dr.
Val Jones, Paul Karpecki,
OD, FAAO, a top authority on eye allergies,
joins Dr. Val to talk about how to identify, treat, and manage eye symptoms from seasonal and indoor allergies.
Eye redness, itchiness, tearing, blurred vision or swelling of the eyelids due to allergies can impact performance at work, school and during sports and other recreational activities. However, according to Dr. Karpecki, there are a number of things you can do around the house, at the office, and even in your car to minimize or prevent these common symptoms from occurring. "Many patients tell me that their allergies are worse overnight and there are some things you can do before you get into bed that may help you feel better," he says.
Women, in particular, note that eye allergy symptoms often make them look like they have been crying, and frequent rubbing of their eyes often causes their makeup to come off. "Mascara tends to be sticky and can attract a lot of pollen and other allergens that are in the air," explains Dr. Karpecki. He offers tips for women who wear makeup and also discusses options that may help alleviate the discomfort that often leads to itching or rubbing of the eyes.
Approximately 15 to 30 percent of people with allergies have adverse reactions to cats and dogs, according to the Asthma & Allergy Foundation of America. Dr. Karpecki has some tips for allergy sufferers who own or visit a home with a pet. "If you're allergic to a dog or cat, and you are going someplace with one of these pets, it is important that you take some preventative steps before you arrive, or you're going to have a miserable time," he cautions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV