Akorn, Inc. (NASDAQ: AKRX), a niche generic pharmaceutical company, today reported financial results for the first quarter of 2012.
First Quarter Highlights
- Eleventh consecutive quarter of growth in core revenue and adjusted EBITDA. Akorn’s core business consists of the ophthalmic, hospital drugs & injectables and contract services segments.
- Revenue growth of 103% over the comparable prior year quarter, or 46% excluding the impact of acquisitions.
- Generated $8.2 million in operating cash flow and ended quarter with $28.3 million in cash and cash equivalents.
- Completed the acquisition of certain assets of Kilitch Drugs (India) Limited which expands the Company’s capacity and capabilities in sterile injectables.
- Filed three new internally developed ANDAs with a combined annual market size of $625 million.
- On April 10, announced the FDA approval of vancomycin hydrochloride capsules, the generic version of ViroPharma’s Vancocin©.
Raj Rai, Chief Executive Officer commented, “Our business continues to demonstrate solid growth metrics as a result our ability to re-launch products amidst drug shortages and the recently closed acquisition of products from Lundbeck and operating assets from Kilitch Drugs (India) Limited. We are excited about the growth opportunities going into the second half of this year, in particular, the recently announced FDA approval of our generic oral Vancocin®.”
Consolidated revenue for the first quarter of 2012 was $51.7 million, up 103% over the comparable prior year quarter consolidated revenue of $25.4 million, and up 46% excluding the impact of acquisitions. Organic growth came from market share gains in established products, injectable drug shortages and the relaunch of certain injectable and ophthalmic products, partially offset by decreases in contract services revenue. Additional year-over-year growth came from the acquisitions of AVR, Lundbeck products and certain assets of Kilitch Drugs (India) Limited.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV