GlaxoSmithKline PLC (GSK): Today's Featured Health Care Winner
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) pushed the Health Care sector higher today making it today's featured health care winner. The sector as a whole closed the day up 0.9%. By the end of trading, GlaxoSmithKline rose 49 cents (1.1%) to $46.57 on average volume. Throughout the day, two million shares of GlaxoSmithKline exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 2.3 million shares. The stock ranged in a price between $45.85-$46.78 after having opened the day at $46.03 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $46.08. Other companies within the Health Care sector that increased today were: Vertex Pharmaceuticals (VRTX), up 55.4%, Insmed (INSM), up 51.9%, Escalon Medical Corporation (ESMC), up 33.3%, and Graymark Healthcare (GRMH), up 28.2%. GlaxoSmithKline plc, together with its subsidiaries, engages in the discovery, development, manufacture, and marketing of pharmaceutical products, over the counter (OTC) medicines, and health-related consumer products worldwide. GlaxoSmithKline has a market cap of $118.41 billion and is part of the drugs industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 14.1, below the average drugs industry P/E ratio of 14.6 and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 1% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there are five analysts that rate GlaxoSmithKline a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and three rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates GlaxoSmithKline as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, notable return on equity, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally poor debt management on most measures that we evaluated.
- You can view the full GlaxoSmithKline Ratings Report.
- Use our health care section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV