Legg Mason (LM) pushed the Financial Services industry higher today making it today's featured financial services winner. The industry as a whole was unchanged today. By the end of trading, Legg Mason rose 27 cents (1.1%) to $23.95 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 2.8 million shares of Legg Mason exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 1.8 million shares. The stock ranged in a price between $23.61-$24.29 after having opened the day at $23.69 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $23.68. Other companies within the Financial Services industry that increased today were: SGOCO Group (SGOC), up 15.4%, Federal Agricultural Mortgage (AGM), up 6.7%, SWS Group (SWS), up 6.6%, and Nicholas Financial (NICK), up 5.5%. Legg Mason, Inc., through its subsidiaries, operates as an asset management company worldwide. The company provides investment management and related services to institutional and individual clients; company-sponsored mutual funds; and other pooled investment vehicles. Legg Mason has a market cap of $3.37 billion and is part of the financial sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 15.7, equal to the average financial services industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 1.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there are five analysts that rate Legg Mason a buy, two analysts rate it a sell, and five rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Legg Mason as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, attractive valuation levels and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
- You can view the full Legg Mason Ratings Report.
- Use our financial services section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest Headlines about LM
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV