D&B (NYSE: DNB), the world's leading source of commercial information and insight on businesses, today reported results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2012.
“Our first quarter results were below expectations, due to unexpected weakness in North America partially offset by strong performance in International. Weakness in North America Risk Management Solutions coupled with the situation in China has necessitated a reduction to our full year revenue and free cash flow guidance. Despite the disappointing top line, we are leveraging our flexible business model to ensure we deliver our prior operating income and EPS commitments. Of note, our technology transformation remains on track and once completed, it will become the foundation to drive sustainable top line growth,” stated Sara Mathew, D&B’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.
First Quarter 2012 Results
Diluted earnings per share before non-core gains and charges for the quarter ended March 31, 2012 were $1.35, up 5% from $1.29 in the prior year similar period.On a GAAP basis, diluted earnings per share for the quarter ended March 31, 2012 were $1.32, up 32% from $1.00 in the prior year similar period. See attached Schedule 3 for a reconciliation of diluted earnings per share before non-core gains and charges to earnings per share on a GAAP basis, as well as the definitions of the non-GAAP financial measures that the Company uses to evaluate the business. Core revenue for the first quarter of 2012 was $390.1 million, up 1% from the prior year similar period both before and after the effect of foreign exchange. Deferred revenue was $631.0 million, down 2% from the prior year similar period. Core revenue results for the first quarter of 2012 reflect the following by solution set:
- Risk Management Solutions revenue of $253.0 million, down 2% both before and after the effect of foreign exchange, as compared to the prior year similar period;
- Sales & Marketing Solutions revenue of $107.0 million, up 8% both before and after the effect of foreign exchange, as compared to the prior year similar period; and
- Internet Solutions revenue of $30.1 million, up 5% both before and after the effect of foreign exchange, as compared to the prior year similar period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV