NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- We've all been tempted by the immediate benefit -- save 10% or maybe even 15% on your current purchase when you apply for the store's credit card.
This is not a wise financial move for most consumers.
Most retail stores offer credit cards with interest rates between 23% and 30%, much higher than bank-branded credit cards. According to the LowCards.com Weekly Credit Card Rate Report, the average advertised APR last week among the nation's 1000+ credit cards was 14.04%.
|Store-branded credit cards should be avoided.|
Some cards, such as the Napa AutoCare Easy Pay and the Lane Home Furnishings credit card, are charging a jaw-dropping 30% interest on credit card purchases. Both Goodyear Tire and Rubber (GT) and Zale (ZLC) have a 28.99% APR on their cards; Office Depot's (ODP) Personal Credit Card charges 27.99%; Sears (SHLD) charges 25.24%; and Macy's (M ) credit card has a 24.50% APR.For help sorting through the confusing world of credit cards, visit
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV