Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NasdaqGS: AGII), an international underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products, today announced financial results for the three months ended March 31, 2012.
Argo Group Chief Executive Officer Mark E. Watson III said, “Our results this quarter show that last year’s actions and strategic initiatives are beginning to bear fruit. I am confident that, as this year progresses, we will see further evidence of action being translated into results.”
HIGHLIGHTS FOR THE FIRST QUARTER ENDED MARCH 31, 2012:
- Gross written premiums were $396.3 million, an increase of $48.5 million over the first quarter of 2011.
- Pre-tax income was $28.1 million compared to a pre-tax loss of $96.7 million in the first quarter of 2011.
- Pre-tax operating income 1 was $17.9 million compared to a pre-tax operating loss 1 of $89.4 million in the first quarter of 2011.
- Net income was $19.6 million or $0.74 per diluted share compared to a net loss of $94.1 million or $3.42 per diluted share in the first quarter of 2011.
- Net operating income 1 per diluted share was $0.54 compared to a net operating loss 1 per diluted share of $2.92 in the first quarter of 2011.
- Estimated pre-tax catastrophe losses, net of reinsurance and estimated reinstatement premiums, were $4.0 million compared to $113.1 million in the first quarter of 2011.
- Book value per share (BVPS) was $57.91 at March 31, 2012, an increase of 4.2% from $55.60 at Dec. 31, 2011. The book value amounts reflect the effect of the company's adoption of new guidance related to accounting for costs associated with acquiring or renewing insurance contracts. This guidance was retrospectively applied to prior periods.
1 – Results are before net realized investment gains and foreign currency exchange losses.OTHER QUARTER HIGHLIGHTS:
- During the first three months of 2012, Argo Group repurchased $10.0 million or 338,876 shares of its outstanding common stock, which represents 1.3 percent of shares outstanding at Dec. 31, 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV