Solazyme, Inc. (NASDAQ: SZYM), a renewable oil and bioproducts company, announced today financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2012 and recent key corporate highlights.
“We’ve just wrapped up a great quarter in which we’ve made progress ramping our production capacity, partnering with industry leaders to commercialize our products, and tailoring new valuable triglyceride oils,” said Jonathan Wolfson, CEO of Solazyme. “We remain focused on executing upon our near-term commercialization plans, and we are very excited about the ultimate value we expect to achieve.”
Total revenue for the first quarter ended March 31, 2012 was $13.6 million compared with $7.7 million in the first quarter of 2011. First quarter GAAP net loss attributable to Solazyme, Inc. common stockholders was $16.8 million, which compares with net loss attributable to common stockholders of $7.3 million in the prior year period. On a non-GAAP basis, the net loss attributable to Solazyme, Inc. common stockholders was $12.8 million for the first quarter of 2012, compared with net loss attributable to common stockholders of $5.6 million in the prior year quarter. A reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP results is included below.“We have a strong balance sheet with approximately $219 million in cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities, our partnerships continue to advance, and we are well positioned to continue commercializing our technology,” said Tyler Painter, CFO of Solazyme. Recent Business Highlights
- Solazyme and Bunge form Joint Venture (JV) for commercial-scale renewable oil production facility in Brazil. The JV, Solazyme Bunge Renewable Oils, will have an expected annual production capacity of 100,000 metric tons of oil. It will utilize Solazyme’s renewable tailored oil production technology, coupled with Bunge’s sugarcane supply and processing capabilities, to produce sustainable tailored triglyceride oils for use in oleochemical and fuel applications.
- Signed Contingent Offtake Agreement and Phase 2 Joint Development Agreement (JDA) with The Dow Chemical Company for tailored bio-based dielectric fluids. The Contingent Offtake Agreement requires Dow to purchase all of its microbe-based oils for use in dielectric fluid applications from Solazyme. Final pricing for the oils will be linked to certain items including Solazyme’s sugar-based feedstock costs. We anticipate that the multi-year JDA will accelerate the commercialization of Solazyme’s base oils for dielectric insulating fluids for transformers and other electrical applications. We expect Solazyme’s algal oils will provide higher flash points and increased functionality in dielectric insulating fluids for transformers and other electrical applications.
- Solazyme’s Algenist® average monthly revenues year to date 2012 doubled as compared to average monthly revenues in 2011.
- Partnered with Volkswagen to evaluate emissions reductions and demonstrate the performance of Clean Diesel technology when powered by advanced renewable diesel. This 12-month evaluation period of Soladiesel RD ® in Volkswagen vehicles is an important step in demonstrating the drop-in capability of our fuels.
- First ever operational deployment of advanced biofuels by the Department of Defense uses Soladiesel ® HRD-76 on USS Ford Frigate voyage. The ship successfully journeyed from its homeport in Everett, WA to San Diego, CA using Soladiesel ® HRD-76, Solazyme’s 100% algal derived renewable marine diesel fuel. The voyage was fueled using 95,000 liters of a 50/50 blend using Soladiesel ® and petroleum F-76 in the ship’s LM 2500 diesel turbines.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV