Cengage Learning Partners With NorthWest Arkansas Community College To Educate And Strengthen The Local Workforce
STAMFORD, Conn., May 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Cengage Learning, a leading global provider of innovative teaching, learning and research solutions, today announced it is working with NorthWest Arkansas Community College (NWACC) to develop a series of workforce development courses for professionals in the Bentonville, Arkansas area.
The courses being developed are a part of the $2.15 million 'Acceleration, Resources, Knowledge' (ARK) Grant, which was awarded to the region based on a proposal that was submitted to the Obama Administration's Innovation Accelerator Challenge. The challenge, which was launched last May to support the advancement of 20 high-growth regional industry clusters, awarded grants to the regions who outlined superior proposed projects and best identified the economic strengths of their areas. As one of the winning regions, the ARK Grant will provide innovation, training and professional development to companies and professionals residing in Northwestern Arkansas, Eastern Oklahoma and Southern Missouri.
"We are excited to partner with NWACC on this exciting initiative," said David Garza, Vice President, Career and Computing, Cengage Learning. "Cengage Learning is known industry-wide for providing a wide range of high-quality training solutions, and we understand the importance of lifelong learning to keep up with today's ever-changing technologies. These courses will help area professionals to remain an asset to their employers and expand their knowledge-base to stay employable during these tough economic times."
"Our collaboration and partnership with Cengage Learning makes it possible for us to provide innovative and technologically advanced training and certification services to not only our community in Northwest Arkansas but also our neighbors in Eastern Oklahoma and Southern Missouri," said Teresa Whitmire, Executive Director, Business Development, NorthWest Arkansas Community College. "Through a combination of the ARK grant and partnerships, such as that with Cengage Learning, we are excited to be building a brighter and more prosperous future for individuals and businesses in our region."The grant allows for the creation of courses that will benefit both the local community and its workforce. In-person and online classes will be hosted by NWACC to train professionals on new technologies, software and other topics of interest to today's workers. Among those to be offered, the first courses to be rolled out from this new partnership include:
- Mobile Applications Programming—Author: Corinne Hoisington—Fifty percent of the world's mobile market is ANDROID, and as mobile devices become ubiquitous, many technology departments are adding mobile computing courses to their curriculum. Google's Android OS is a freely available and popular Smartphone platform with applications programmed in Java using Eclipse and the Android SDK. This hands-on workshop allows participants to learn how to make their first Android app and beyond.
- Microsoft Office –Author: Shelley Cashman –The Shelly Cashman Series has effectively introduced computer skills to millions of students and adult learners for over 30 years. The Microsoft Office 2010 series introduces features that are specifically designed to engage participants, improve retention and prepare them for future success. With step-by-step, screen-by-screen approaches, students are able to expand their understanding of Office 2010 software. Using proven reinforcement exercises, learners use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to create real-life documents, allowing them to become more capable software users.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV