TheLadders Reveals What Working Moms Want For Mother's Day
NEW YORK, May 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- In celebration of Mother's Day on May 13th, TheLadders released a new survey today revealing that working mothers care more about having flexible hours after returning to work than spending more time at home while on leave. In fact, when asked to prioritize six "work situations" as a working mother, the majority (44%) chose flexibility as most important versus only 5% who said they would opt for longer maternity leave. TheLadders, the most comprehensive job-matching service for career-driven professionals, surveyed more than 250 women who are, or soon will be, working mothers.
In addition to flexible working hours and extensive time off, working mothers ranked the scenarios as follows: ability to work from home (29%), convenient working hours (20%), on-site day care (2%), and generous paternity leave (0%). The female professionals surveyed are in the following industries: construction, education, engineering, finance, human resources, law, marketing, medical/science, operations, real estate, sales and technology.
"Since launching almost a decade ago, we have seen a growing desire for job seekers to work in – and return to – an environment that understands and supports their personal values," said Alex Douzet, Chief Operating Officer and Co-founder of TheLadders. "It is clear from our Mother's Day survey that working mothers are eager to return to the office when it is a comfortable and rewarding transition. Employer sensitivity for the unique needs of working mothers will help drive employee satisfaction and retention."TheLadders Mother's Day survey also revealed other key learnings:
- She works hard for the money. The number-one reason respondents returned to work is for "financial reasons," although resuming employment because they "enjoy their career" is a close second. Needing benefits (health/child care) and just wanting to "get out of the house" were less motivating rationale.
- You like me, you really like me. When asked how having a child impacts the way that working mothers feel they are regarded by coworkers, almost half (42%) felt their colleagues are "supportive and understanding," while 18% believe that others "behaved the same." Almost a quarter (24%) said their coworkers are "supportive, but don't understand my situation" and a frustrated 16% said their teammates are "resentful of my competing priorities or schedule."
- It's a balancing act. Balancing a career and a family is a huge struggle for 87% of respondents with 55% admitting that "excelling at both is overwhelming," 13% "struggled at first, but now it's under control," 16% "always put family first and work has suffered for it," and 3% "always put work first and family has suffered for it."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV