In contrast, all-world ETFs from Vanguard All World excluding U.S. (VEU) to iShares MSCI All World excluding U.S. (ACWX) paint a different picture. The negative slope reading of -.04 over the 50-day time frame defines a near-term downtrend for foreign stocks. What’s more, the current price of VEU is well below a 50-day moving average.
For our clients, we’ve had negligible exposure to developed world equities outside the U.S. since 2010. Yet we’ve used stop-limit loss orders and trend identification to reduce our exposure to emerging (developing world) stock ETFs here in 2012.Indeed, U.S. equities are the premier “hold” at this moment. We still maintain our positions in Vanguard High Dividend Yield (VYM), Vanguard REIT ETF (VNQ) and Vanguard Dividend Appreciation (VIG). Yet the best investments… and I’ve been saying this for more than a month now… may be those ETFs with historically wide yield spreads with comparable Treasury bonds. SPDR Barclays Corporate High Yield (JNK)), JP Morgan Alerian MLP (AMJ), Claymore Multi-Asset Income (CVY) and iShares Intermediate Corporate Credit (CIU) continue to produce income with less price volatility. You can listen to the ETF Expert Radio Show "LIVE", via podcast or on your iPod. You can follow me on Twitter @ETFexpert.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV