In contrast, all-world ETFs from Vanguard All World excluding U.S. (VEU) to iShares MSCI All World excluding U.S. (ACWX) paint a different picture. The negative slope reading of -.04 over the 50-day time frame defines a near-term downtrend for foreign stocks. What’s more, the current price of VEU is well below a 50-day moving average.
For our clients, we’ve had negligible exposure to developed world equities outside the U.S. since 2010. Yet we’ve used stop-limit loss orders and trend identification to reduce our exposure to emerging (developing world) stock ETFs here in 2012.Indeed, U.S. equities are the premier “hold” at this moment. We still maintain our positions in Vanguard High Dividend Yield (VYM), Vanguard REIT ETF (VNQ) and Vanguard Dividend Appreciation (VIG). Yet the best investments… and I’ve been saying this for more than a month now… may be those ETFs with historically wide yield spreads with comparable Treasury bonds. SPDR Barclays Corporate High Yield (JNK)), JP Morgan Alerian MLP (AMJ), Claymore Multi-Asset Income (CVY) and iShares Intermediate Corporate Credit (CIU) continue to produce income with less price volatility. You can listen to the ETF Expert Radio Show "LIVE", via podcast or on your iPod. You can follow me on Twitter @ETFexpert.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV