Buy-Rated Energy Stocks That Are Traded in and out of the ValuTrader Model Portfolio
(BHI - Get Report)
- ($41.18) traded to a 52-week low at $39.40 on April 10. The oil & gas field services company has weekly and monthly value levels at $36.18 and $35.99, respectively, with a quarterly risky level at $56.72. BHI is a member of the ValuTrader Model Portfolio.
(CHK - Get Report)
- ($17.39) traded to a 52-week low at $16.70 on May 3. The company is primarily involved in finding natural gas and oil on shore. We know the company has issues in the management ranks, but a stock screening service such as ValuEngine cannot know this. My semiannual value level is $16.13 with a semiannual risky level at $24.48. CHK is currently not in the ValuTrader Model Portfolio. It was last removed from the portfolio at $24.45 on Feb. 17 for a gain of 9.6%.
(XOM - Get Report)
- ($84.47) has made several attempts to breakout above $88.00 since Jan. 23 without success. The premier energy company on the planet is trading between quarterly pivots at $80.39 and $85.98, so a correction to its 200-day simple moving average at $80.16 is feasible. XOM is currently not in the ValuTrader Model Portfolio. It was last removed from the portfolio at the quarterly pivot at $85.98 on April 18 for a gain of 2.9%.
(SLB - Get Report)
- ($69.96) could trade down to my weekly and monthly value levels at $66.88 and $65.84. My quarterly risky levels are $77.47 and $80.54. This global oil & gas field services company is currently in the ValuTrader Model Portfolio.
- ($30.35) traded to a year-to-date low at $29.29 on April 10. Suncor is the leader in mining and extracting crude oil from Canadian oil sands. My weekly value level is $28.62 with a monthly pivot at $31.53 and quarterly risky levels at $32.19 and $34.99. SU is currently not in the ValuTrader Model Portfolio exiting last at $31.91 on April 17 for a gain of 5.1%.
With my "buy and trade" strategy you are always adding to positions on weakness to a Value Level and reducing positions on strength to a Risky Level. This is not labor-intensive. You simply enter "Good 'Til Canceled" Limit Orders to buy at the value level and sell at the risky level. A "buy and trade" strategy allows you to capture the price volatility as stocks move up and down.