NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Most ETF investors know that the first equity fund was the S&P 500 SPDR (SPY), which of course tracks a very broad index. Subsequent equity funds then got narrower to cover sectors, foreign countries, themes and possibly the ridiculous; there was a short-lived ophthalmology ETF from the now defunct Health Shares.
Bond ETFs are following a similar trajectory. The earlier funds have been generic, covering the U.S. Treasury market like the iShares Barclays 20+ year Treasury Bond Fund (TLT); very broad covering the entire market like the iShares Barclays Aggregate Bond Fund (AGG); or broadly covering the corporate bond market like the iShares iBoxx $ Investment Grade Corporate Bond Fund (LQD).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV