Northeast Utilities System
Utilities and dividends historically go hand in hand -- that's why the 16.8% dividend hike from Northeast Utilities System (NU) on Wednesday was such a good sign for income investors. NU's subsidiaries provide regulated utility service for more than 2 million customers in Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Hampshire, a business that's not especially glamorous, but that provides hefty dividend payouts.
Following the hike, the firm's yield now sits at 3.8%.Utilities are boring, and that's exactly why investors like them. Their rates are locked-in, demand for energy is fairly resilient and predictable, and interest costs are easy to get a handle on years in advance. Just as with REITs, utilities are tailor-made to pay out dividends. To be fair, Northeast Utilities has been a bit more exciting than most peers lately, thanks to a $9.5 billion merger with NSTAR last month. The move widens NU's footprint and cuts operations costs, at the expense of some near-term rate concessions for consumers. Longer-term, investors should see the benefits of the merger. While the utility business is capital-intense, NU has a reasonably strong balance sheet and significant cash generation abilities. Those factors should keep those dividends flowing (and growing) for the foreseeable future. NU makes a good core holding choice for income investors who are in search of utility exposure. NU shows up on a list of Utilities Stocks Bought and Sold by Hedge Funds in the most recently reported quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV