Pharmaceutical and medical device distributor Cardinal Health (CAH) essentially acts as a middleman between big pharma and the pharmacies and hospitals that provide drugs to patients. That's great business if you can get it -- but it also comes with little in the way of an economic moat. If either side of the deal (pharmaceuticals, medical supply makers, or major pharmacies) decide that profitability looks too attractive for firms like CAH, they can always opt to fulfill that role in-house. That's a risk investors should be aware of.
Cardinal's biggest advantage lies in its scale. Because Cardinal is combining the distribution efforts of some of the biggest players in the industry, the company can cut costs more than any single name could likely do on its own. That keeps CAH relevant, but it also keeps margins paper-thin.Financially, Cardinal is in very good shape, with a small net-cash position and extremely consistent sales numbers. The firm's 10.5% dividend hike on Wednesday ratchets its quarterly payout to 24 cents per share, a 2.19% yield. If you had to pick a single health care name to buy today, I'd recommend buying Johnson & Johnson over Cardinal Health. Cardinal was one of 8 UBS Stock Picks for 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV