Apache Corporation (APA): Today's Featured Basic Materials Loser
Apache Corporation (APA) pushed the Basic Materials sector lower today making it today's featured Basic Materials loser. The sector as a whole closed the day down 1.9%. By the end of trading, Apache Corporation fell $2.90 (-3.1%) to $89.06 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 4.4 million shares of Apache Corporation exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 2.8 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $88.85-$90.82 after having opened the day at $90.73 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $91.96. Other company's within the Basic Materials sector that declined today were: Endeavour International (END), down 10%, Royale Energy (ROYL), down 9.6%, Magnum Hunter Resources (MHR), down 9.4%, and Cal Dive International (DVR), down 9%. Apache Corporation, an independent energy company, explores for, develops, and produces natural gas, crude oil, and natural gas liquids. Apache Corporation has a market cap of $36.73 billion and is part of the energy industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 8.3, equal to the average energy industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 1.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are 18 analysts that rate Apache Corporation a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and three rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Apache Corporation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, good cash flow from operations and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
- You can view the full Apache Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV