Duke Energy Corporation (DUK) pushed the Utilities sector higher today making it today's featured utilities winner. The sector as a whole closed the day down 0.4%. By the end of trading, Duke Energy Corporation rose 16 cents (0.8%) to $21.56 on average volume. Throughout the day, 16.1 million shares of Duke Energy Corporation exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 12.3 million shares. The stock ranged in a price between $21.42-$21.66 after having opened the day at $21.46 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $21.40. Other companies within the Utilities sector that increased today were: Distribution and Marketing Company of the N (EDN), up 5.7%, ITC Holdings (ITC), up 2.8%, American DG Energy (ADGE), up 2.6%, and Niska Gas Storage Partners (NKA), up 2.6%. Duke Energy Corporation, together with its subsidiaries, operates as an energy company in the United States and Latin America. The company operates in three segments: U.S. Franchised Electric and Gas, Commercial Power, and International Energy. The U.S. Duke Energy Corporation has a market cap of $28.74 billion and is part of the utilities industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 16.8, equal to the average utilities industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 2.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are no analysts that rate Duke Energy Corporation a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 15 rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Duke Energy Corporation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
- You can view the full Duke Energy Ratings Report.
- Use our utilities section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest Headlines about DUK
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV