MFA Financial Inc. (MFA): Today's Featured Financial Winner
MFA Financial (MFA) pushed the Financial sector higher today making it today's featured financial winner. The sector as a whole closed the day down 1.1%. By the end of trading, MFA Financial rose 12 cents (1.6%) to $7.61 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 8.2 million shares of MFA Financial exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 3.5 million shares. The stock ranged in a price between $7.45-$7.62 after having opened the day at $7.49 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $7.49. Other companies within the Financial sector that increased today were: Crescent Financial (CRFN), up 31.9%, Patriot National Bancorp (PNBK), up 16.3%, Alliance Bankshares (ABVA), up 10.6%, and Manhattan Bridge Capital (LOAN), up 9.8%. MFA Financial, Inc., a real estate investment trust (REIT), invests in residential agency and non-agency mortgage-backed securities (MBS). MFA Financial has a market cap of $2.67 billion and is part of the real estate industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 8.3, equal to the average real estate industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 11.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are nine analysts that rate MFA Financial a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and three rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates MFA Financial as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, attractive valuation levels and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally poor debt management, a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share.
- You can view the full MFA Financial Ratings Report.
- Use our financial section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV