The partnership sees Microsoft and Barnes & Noble teaming up to form a joint venture for the NOOK tablet, bringing together Barnes & Noble's digital and college businesses.
Microsoft will own a 17.6% stake, with Barnes & Noble owning the remaining 82.4% in the as-yet-to-be-named company.Shares of Microsoft closed the week down 3.5% at $30.98. Barnes & Noble gained $37.8% during the week to close at $17.90.
After the close of trading on Monday Groupon (GRPN) announced the resignation of two board members. Starbucks (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz and venture capital firm Accel Partners' Kevin Efrusy resigned from the board. Schultz is stepping down immediately, while Efrusy's resignation from the board of directors will be effective as of the company's annual meeting in June. Groupon said Daniel Henry, the chief financial officer of American Express (AXP), replaced Schultz, and Robert Bass, a vice chairman of accounting firm Deloitte LLP, should join its board after a shareholder vote at the annual meeting. The Chicago firm has been wrestling with accounting issues since its IPO last year. Groupon recently restated fourth-quarter earnings, citing a shift in the company's deal mix and higher price offers, which have higher refund rates. Shares of Groupon ended the week 16.4% lower at $9.97.
Apple once again garnered attention, amidst chatter about the new iPhone and market share gains against Amazon (AMZN). Rumors emerged of a longer, thinner iPhone, slightly different from previous versions of the iconic smartphone. Research firm IDC also showed Apple stole tablet market share from Amazon during the fourth quarter, as more consumers bought the iPad, seemingly at the expense of the Kindle Fire. Shares of Apple closed the week 7.0% lower at $565.25.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV