Romney's 500,000 Jobs a Month Is a Pipe Dream
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Mitt Romney's claim that the country should be adding 500,000 jobs a month isn't possible.
The presumed Republican presidential nominee Friday told Fox News' Gretchen Carlson that the economy should be growing at more than 500,000 jobs a month, but strategists don't appear to have much faith in the former businessman's forecast.
"Come on ... 500,000 a month, that's a pipe dream," said Josh Feinman, global chief economist for Deutsche Bank Advisors. "That's not sustainable ... but it does underscore the problem."The problem is that the country still has to restore about 5 million jobs lost because of the recession. Feinman said the United States lost an estimated 8.8 million jobs from the peak to the trough of the Great Recession, and the country has restored about 3.8 million of those positions. Feinman said that if nonfarm payrolls grew at 200,000 a month that Americans would attain all those lost jobs in about two years. But that doesn't factor in growth of the population that has come of age to enter the work force. Feinman said he thinks the country is about 10 million (or double the 5 million short of reaching pre-recession levels) jobs short, which would take us another six or seven years at a 200,000 per-month clip to replace what the country lost. April nonfarm payrolls grew by just 115,000, well below economists'
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV