NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Employment in the securities industry suffered its third quarterly decline, with over 4,400 jobs lost during the first three months of 2012, according to a Wall Street trade group. Expect more of the same in the months ahead.
The industry now employs 800,100 brokers, traders and investment bankers across the U.S., according to the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA).
"[The drop in jobs] came after the very disappointing industry results in the previous quarter, when the broker-dealers posted a quarterly loss of $67.6 million," the statement added.
Hardest by the Wall Street retrenchment was the tri-state area of Connecticut, New Jersey and New York, which lost 900 securities-industry jobs during the quarter. The New York City region represents a third of all securities positions in the U.S.The bloodletting in the investment banking and securities industry will likely continue in 2012. Earlier this month, Bank of America (BAC) said it would cut 2,000 positions in its investment banking, commercial banking and non-U.S. wealth-management units. Credit Suisse (CS) said it plans to eliminate at least 3,500 jobs after it reported a 96% decline in first-quarter profit.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV