10 Forces Conspiring Against Your Savings
Few would argue against the notion that the nation's staggering debt is setting up an economic disaster. The remedies, however, could prove dangerous for your retirement strategy.
Already there is vigorous debate on how to cut or modify Social Security and Medicare. Also under the microscope: tax incentives to help save for retirement.
A national survey late last year by Lake Research Partners and Public Opinion Strategies -- commissioned by Americans for Secure Retirement -- found that 88% of voters view tax incentives to help save for retirement as important. That included 81% of self-identified tea party supporters, 83% of Republicans, 86% of independents and 94% of Democrats.Nevertheless, Congress is considering proposals to change the tax preferences for employment-based 401(k) retirement plans. According to the Employee Benefit Research Institute, changes to allowed tax deferrals could result in an average reduction in 401(k) account balances of 6% to 22% at Social Security retirement age for workers now ages 26 to 35.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV