10 Forces Conspiring Against Your Savings
BOSTON ( MainStreet) -- Expert after expert, study after study, sing the same chorus: People are just not saving enough for retirement.
BlackRock (BLK), like many other financial firms, has stressed the disconnect between what savers do versus what they should be doing and the implications of not saving enough for their golden years. A BlackRock survey found that even though relatively few U.S. workers anticipate having to work during their "retirement," defined-contribution plan sponsors think that's exactly what they will need to do.
More than half of plan sponsors (55%) said most of their participants will have to work either full or part time in retirement. Just 15% of those workers, however, anticipated needing to work. Only 43% of sponsors were confident that workers are saving enough to get the monthly income they need for retirement; by contrast, 67% of participants were confident they are saving enough.
What's often overlooked amid the mantra of "save more" is that external, uncontrollable forces are also at work to erode retirement security.The following are 10 beyond-your-control problems that can derail even the best-laid plans of diligent savers:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV