PNM Resources (NYSE: PNM) today reported unaudited 2012 first quarter consolidated GAAP earnings of $17.1 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, compared with $16.6 million, or $0.18 per diluted share, during the same period in 2011. Consolidated GAAP results in 2011 included First Choice Power, which contributed $13.5 million, or $0.15 per diluted share, to earnings. Optim Energy had no impact on 2011 GAAP results.
Quarterly unaudited, consolidated ongoing earnings were $13.5 million, or $0.17 per diluted share, compared with $3.4 million, or $0.04 per diluted share, in 2011. Consolidated ongoing results in 2011 included First Choice Power and Optim Energy, which contributed a combined $3.1 million, or $0.03 per diluted share, to earnings. Earnings per diluted share are positively impacted in 2012 by the reduction in average shares resulting from PNM Resources’ purchase of outstanding equity securities in late 2011. Reconciliations of 2012 and 2011 GAAP to ongoing earnings are included in schedules 1 and 2.
“Our first quarter results demonstrate the financial improvements of our regulated utilities, PNM and TNMP, both of which benefitted from rate case resolutions last year and now are providing stable earnings paths,” said Pat Collawn, PNM Resources chairman, president and CEO. “A slowly recovering economy during the first quarter, combined with a milder winter in New Mexico and Texas, slightly tempered performance of both utilities.”
Quarterly financial materials are available at http://www.pnmresources.com/investors/results.cfm.SEGMENT REPORTING OF 2012 FIRST QUARTER EARNINGS PNM – a vertically integrated electric utility in New Mexico with distribution, transmission and generation assets.
- PNM reported ongoing earnings of $14.1 million, or $0.18 per diluted share, compared with $0.8 million, or $0.01 per diluted share, in 2011. GAAP earnings were $17.7 million, or $0.22 per diluted share, compared with $3.6 million, or $0.04 per diluted share.
- Higher retail rates and a new rate structure that put more of the increase into the shoulder periods, coupled with lower O&M costs, improved earnings. Lower sales prices associated with Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station unit 3 negatively affected performance.
- TNMP reported ongoing earnings of $3.1 million, or $0.04 per diluted share, and GAAP earnings of $3.0 million, or $0.04 per diluted share, compared with ongoing and GAAP earnings of $4.2 million, or $0.05 per diluted share, in 2011.
- A 34 percent decrease in heating-degree days in TNMP’s service territory more than offset the full-quarter impact of higher transmission and distribution rates that went into effect in February 2011.
- Corporate/Other reported ongoing and GAAP losses of $3.6 million, or $0.05 per diluted share, compared with 2011 ongoing and GAAP losses of $4.7 million, or $0.05 per diluted share.
- The repurchase of long-term debt in late 2011 decreased interest expense.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV