Northeast Utilities (NU) pushed the Utilities sector lower today making it today's featured Utilities loser. The sector as a whole closed the day down 0.7%. By the end of trading, Northeast Utilities fell $1.21 (-3.3%) to $35.82 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 4.7 million shares of Northeast Utilities exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 2.3 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $35.63-$37.38 after having opened the day at $37.04 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $37.03. Other company's within the Utilities sector that declined today were: Distribution and Marketing Company of the N (EDN), down 9%, ITC Holdings (ITC), down 6.5%, Niska Gas Storage Partners (NKA), down 5.6%, and Pure Cycle Corporation (PCYO), down 4.8%. Northeast Utilities, a public utility holding company, provides electric and natural gas energy delivery services to residential, commercial, and industrial customers in Connecticut, New Hampshire, and western Massachusetts. Northeast Utilities has a market cap of $6.57 billion and is part of the utilities industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 16.7, equal to the average utilities industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 2.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there are nine analysts that rate Northeast Utilities a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and five rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Northeast Utilities as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance and attractive valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally poor debt management on most measures that we evaluated.
- You can view the full Northeast Utilities Ratings Report.
- Use our utilities section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest Headlines about NU
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV