WellPoint Inc (WLP): Today's Featured Health Care Loser
WellPoint (WLP) pushed the Health Care sector lower today making it today's featured Health Care loser. The sector as a whole closed the day down 1.5%. By the end of trading, WellPoint fell $1.49 (-2.2%) to $67.30 on average volume. Throughout the day, 3.3 million shares of WellPoint exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of three million shares. The stock ranged in price between $67.09-$68.46 after having opened the day at $68.27 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $68.79. Other company's within the Health Care sector that declined today were: Health Net (HNT), down 24.9%, Cormedix (CRMD), down 23.1%, Chemocentryx (CCXI), down 18%, and Prestige Brands Holdings (PBH), down 15.2%. WellPoint, Inc., through its subsidiaries, operates as a health benefits company in the United States. The company offers various network-based managed care plans to large and small employer, individual, Medicaid, and senior markets. WellPoint has a market cap of $22.63 billion and is part of the health services industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 9.3, equal to the average health services industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 3.8% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there are 12 analysts that rate WellPoint a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and five rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates WellPoint as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, attractive valuation levels, growth in earnings per share and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
- You can view the full WellPoint Ratings Report.
- Use our health care section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV