WellPoint (WLP) pushed the Health Care sector lower today making it today's featured Health Care loser. The sector as a whole closed the day down 1.5%. By the end of trading, WellPoint fell $1.49 (-2.2%) to $67.30 on average volume. Throughout the day, 3.3 million shares of WellPoint exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of three million shares. The stock ranged in price between $67.09-$68.46 after having opened the day at $68.27 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $68.79. Other company's within the Health Care sector that declined today were: Health Net (HNT), down 24.9%, Cormedix (CRMD), down 23.1%, Chemocentryx (CCXI), down 18%, and Prestige Brands Holdings (PBH), down 15.2%. WellPoint, Inc., through its subsidiaries, operates as a health benefits company in the United States. The company offers various network-based managed care plans to large and small employer, individual, Medicaid, and senior markets. WellPoint has a market cap of $22.63 billion and is part of the health services industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 9.3, equal to the average health services industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 3.8% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there are 12 analysts that rate WellPoint a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and five rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates WellPoint as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, attractive valuation levels, growth in earnings per share and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
- You can view the full WellPoint Ratings Report.
- Use our health care section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest Headlines about WLP
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV