Staples Inc. (SPLS): Today's Featured Specialty Retail Loser
Staples (SPLS) pushed the Specialty Retail industry lower today making it today's featured Specialty Retail loser. The industry as a whole closed the day down 1.8%. By the end of trading, Staples fell 14 cents (-0.9%) to $15.12 on average volume. Throughout the day, 7.4 million shares of Staples exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 9.6 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $15.09-$15.38 after having opened the day at $15.27 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $15.26. Other company's within the Specialty Retail industry that declined today were: United Online (UNTD), down 13.6%, Zagg (ZAGG), down 7.7%, Netflix (NFLX), down 7.6%, and Francescas Holdings (FRAN), down 6.4%. Staples, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, operates as an office products company. The company offers various office supplies and services, office machines and related products, computers and related products, and office furniture under Staples, Quill, and other proprietary brands. Staples has a market cap of $10.54 billion and is part of the services sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 10.8, equal to the average specialty retail industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 9.8% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there are 10 analysts that rate Staples a buy, one analyst rates it a sell, and four rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Staples as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, growth in earnings per share, attractive valuation levels, good cash flow from operations and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins.
- You can view the full Staples Ratings Report.
- Use our specialty retail section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV